"... Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State..." -- Thomas Jefferson, On New Year's Day in 1802
"I consider the Government of the United States as interdicted by the Constitution of the United States from meddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises.... But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe, a day of fasting and praying. That is, I should indirectly assume to the United States an authority over religious exercises, which the Constitution has directly precluded them from.... Every one must act according to the dictates of his own reason and mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the United States, and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents." -- Thomas Jefferson
In 2008, DARK-AGES WARRIORS scored a victory when Barack Obama's opponent, a speech infringer, anti-gun, anti-capitalism, whose hero is dedicated Antitrust enforcer Theodore Roosevelt, the first POTUS to endorse the income tax and the inheritance tax who also endorsed socialized medicine, chose a gravitas-free puppet of THEOCRACY WARRIORS as running mate.
DARK-AGES WARRIORS remain popular:
1. Jim DeMint, Conservative of the Year 2010, evidently the Conservatives' 2012 presidential bet, is described by Wikipedia as a consistent supporter of school prayer. DeMint advocates STATE-MANDATED RELIGIOUS INDOCTRINATION.
2. Sarah Palin, the darling of many Conservatives, is against the wall of separation between church and state.
3. Montana GOP want homosexuality declared illegal.
4. Colorado's Conservatives endorse Amendment 62 which regards the BIRTH CONTROL PILL AS MURDER.
5. Allen West, another favorite of Conservatives, holds abortion and PROCREATION as national security issues. Imagine a PATRIOT ACT on PROCREATION!
6. Conservatives on the Texas Education Board want Thomas Jefferson deleted from history.
"Whereas Almighty God hath created the mind free; that all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations, tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and are a departure from the plan of the Holy author of our religion, who being Lord both of body and mind, yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as it was in his Almighty power to do....
Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry.....
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
-- Thomas Jefferson